Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mile One

I haven't run since my half marathon in Disney. I kept meaning to get back out there but I just kept finding a reason to not go. On Monday, April 15th, the Boston Marathon was bombed. As a runner it's scary to remember the hoards of people in Disney and think of how easily a place like that could be attacked. Today I joined in on a Facebook group called "Run for Boston." Their page can be found HERE. Its filled with tons of photos from all across the country of people who ran for Boston today. Here is my personal photo edition:

The rules were to wear yellow or blue and take a photo of yourself with a sign saying "Run for Boston" So I went out and I ran for those who can't. Now it's been a very long time since I have run so I figured why not start at mile one. I went out, I ran a mile, I came back home happier than when I left.

I never realized that I actually missed so many of the little things about running. The sounds of the trail. Kids rushing by on bikes. Parents chasing after them. Fellow runners. Bike riders. The sound of my insoles squeaking inside my shoes. The overwhelmingly adorable dogs. The all to familiar muscle pains screaming from months of being kept out of commission. And most of all, the taste of an incredibly cold glass of water once I get back home. (It does taste different than normal)

Since my break from running some things have changed. I obviously didn't make it to the Rock n' Roll marathon but Meghan did and she rocked it. My next scheduled race is the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in September. Coast to Coast here I come!


This quote from the day of the events has really stuck with me and I thought I'd share it.

"It is the only sport in the world where if a competitor falls, the others around will pick him or her up. It is the only sport in the world open to absolutely everyone, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity or any other division you can think of. Its the only occasion when thousands of people assemble, often in a major city, for a reason that is totally peaceful, healthy and well-meaning. Its the only sport in the world where no one ever boos anybody" 
 - Runners World


And last but not least:


No comments:

Post a Comment