Sunday, July 1, 2012

Training Day Socks

I didn't write on Thursday because Thursday's "run" sucked. I started off but I didn't make it very far because I had a blister that ended up taking up my entire ankle forming throughout the day. But Thursday wasn't a total loss. I met up with some people for a Running 101 course in Leesburg. I was able to meet the head coach for the distance training program and get a feel for what the classes were like. I walked most of the run that day in 100 degree heat. As I was walking I was able to talk to the coach and tell her some about the blister and the on-going knee problems I had been having. 

You know what I learned that day? Socks matter.
She gave me 2 pairs of technical running socks to try out. I went out with them today and belive it or not, socks matter! 6 months ago when I came up with this crazy plan I thought, "Running should be cheap and easy right? You just gotta step out your door and go."

Nope. That's not how it is.

Fuel belt/Water bottles $
Arm band for your phone $
Socks $
Race registration $
GPS trackers/heart monitors $$
Headphones $$
Fitness clothes $$
Shoes $$$

It's beginning to get a bit ridiculous. But at least I got some socks to try for free.


And no, the stitching is not just there to look cool. (Which it totally does) When you put these socks on, it actually feels like there is extra support in the arch and wrapping around the top of your foot. They're kind of amazing.

So after my big blow out on Thursday, I was able to rest up some and rock it this morning. At 6am I met with the distance training group in Ashburn. I was able to run another 4 miles in 60 minutes. Thanks to my special socks of course.

And I got a new shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment