Sunday, August 19, 2012

Friends, Family, and Five Kilometers

Today I ran my 4th 5K. I was surrounded by friends I've known for a while, new friends that I've made through the Potomac River Running Training Program, and family.

My cousin Geneva decided to join in on the fun last minute. She ended up beating all of us out! At the advice of my coach, I went ahead and ran a mile to warm up. I've never warmed up before a race before but I did this time and I felt good come the start of the race

Here's were the butterflies start to get you. We started filing in at the starting line.

Despite the crowded appearance, this race was actually not as crowded as the Firecracker that I ran July 4th.

 Everyone linked up? Music pumping? Good. Lets get started!

Geneva and I, photo courtesy of my mother.

Me, photo courtesy of Potomac River Running.

Geneva kicking my ass across the finish.


 Me finishing 5 minutes later.


Geneva looking like a total bad ass runner .1 miles from the finish.
 Me looking like a total dork .1 miles from the finish.

Whats the point if you're not having fun right? I look like a goob out there but I'm enjoying myself. I'm also not the fastest runner but I didn't finish last. My official chip time was 42:49. Pace of 13:49. I beat my personal record by only 40 seconds but a PR is a PR no matter how close it is.

I also learned another tough lesson in hydration today. Not only should you not gulp water while running long distances but you should also try not to choke on it to. I'm walking through the next water stop. 


I now have a new bib to add to my collection.


And a new race shirt.

I even made it to the early pick up to get a killer pint glass.

Lets raise those pints to friends, family and killing five kilometers today!

2 comments:

  1. I had a great time and was glad to run my first 5k with you. It's not about how fast you run it's about crossing that finish line and not pooping yourself...here's to family and not pooping ourselves! Next time I want a cool dorky photo!

    ReplyDelete