Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mooove Over!

The one training run Meghan doesn't make it to turns out to be one of the most exciting! First off, it was wet and nasty pretty much the entire run. Started out fine, then it started pouring after the first mile. At this point I was chatting with another lady from the program so I hadn't noticed that my phone wasn't playing music anymore. After stopping for Gatorade and she ran up ahead, I realized my phone was thoroughly soaked and is now dead. I'm hoping a trip to the store will fix it but if not I'll be switching to a back-up.

So there I was, soaking wet, three miles into a run, alone, with no music. Now I know the biggest thing at races is that headphones are strongly discouraged. I don't need that lecture. I usually only run with one ear phone in and the music is turned down low anyways. I can deal with out music for a single run I suppose. I was more worried about my phone being completely dead since I don't have a land line phone to keep in touch.

Then around mile 4.5 one of the coaches decided to graciously slow down his epic pace to keep me sane over the next 4.5 miles. You'd think that the run could go on normally then right? Wrong.

Here's a little of how the conversation went:

Me: What the hell is that up there? A Cow?
Coach: No way. I think that's a horse.
(Makes sense. People ride horses on the trail all the time.)
(As we get a little closer)
Me: No way that's a horse.
Coach: Maybe it's a really big dog?

COWS. Yup. Those are cows. Yup. They're just casually crossing. THE ONE DAY I DON'T HAVE A WORKING PHONE TO TAKE A PICTURE! These pictures were sent to me by one of our fellow runners.


A lady on the side of the trail, who also didn't have a phone, was desperately trying to get someone to call her husband to tell him "Crazy Mike's cows got out!"

After all excitement, I ran 9 miles in 2:12:34. Pace of 14:43/m

1 comment: